Federal Judge Throws Out Ray Epps Defamation Suit Against Fox News — Second Dismissal in Two Years

URL has been copied successfully!

By JBizNews Desk
May 11, 2026

A federal judge has dismissed Ray Epps’s defamation lawsuit against Fox News for a second time, handing the network another major courtroom victory rooted in the high constitutional protections American law grants to political speech and media organizations.

In a ruling issued Friday, U.S. District Judge Jennifer L. Hall of Delaware granted Fox News’s motion to dismiss Epps’s amended complaint, concluding that the former Arizona rancher once again failed to meet the legal standard required to sustain a defamation case involving a public figure and a major news outlet.

“I previously granted Fox’s motion to dismiss the original complaint and granted plaintiff leave to amend,” Judge Hall wrote in the opinion. “I conclude that the amended complaint fails to state a plausible claim and should be dismissed.”

At the center of the case was the demanding “actual malice” standard established under U.S. defamation law — a threshold requiring public figures to prove that a defendant either knowingly published false information or acted with reckless disregard for the truth.

Judge Hall ruled that Epps’s revised filing failed to plausibly demonstrate that former Fox News employees knew claims surrounding him were false or possessed information contradicting statements aired on the network.

“The amended complaint pleads no facts plausibly suggesting that any of the former Fox News employees had access to that information,” Hall wrote. “Epps’s actual malice allegations are primarily based on the opinions of individuals who had no more reason than Carlson to know whether Epps was a federal informant. That is not enough to proceed.”

The ruling effectively closes the case at the district court level unless Epps successfully appeals.

Epps, a former U.S. Marine and longtime Arizona resident, first sued Fox News in July 2023 after becoming one of the most widely discussed and controversial figures connected to the January 6, 2021 Capitol riot.

Segments aired on Fox News — particularly by former prime-time host Tucker Carlson — repeatedly amplified theories suggesting Epps may have been acting as a federal operative or government informant during events surrounding the Capitol breach.

Carlson, who departed Fox News in April 2023, was identified in the complaint as one of the network’s most prominent voices advancing the theory on air.

Federal prosecutors and the Department of Justice repeatedly rejected claims that Epps worked for the government, stating publicly that he had no federal affiliation beyond military service in the Marines between 1979 and 1983.

Epps later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge tied to his conduct during the January 6 events and received a sentence of one year of probation. He was subsequently pardoned by President Donald Trump as part of a broader clemency action involving roughly 1,500 individuals connected to the Capitol riot cases.

The lawsuit also highlighted the severe personal consequences Epps said he endured following the coverage.

According to court filings, Epps and his wife faced sustained harassment and death threats after the conspiracy theories spread online and across political media. Epps testified that the pressure became so intense the couple ultimately sold their longtime Arizona ranch and began living in a recreational vehicle.

Judge Hall had already dismissed Epps’s original complaint in 2024, though she granted his legal team permission to amend and refile the case with additional factual support.

Friday’s ruling concluded the revised complaint still failed to establish the core legal requirement necessary to move the case toward trial.

In a statement released after the decision, Fox News said it was “pleased with the federal court’s ruling, further preserving the press freedoms of the First Amendment.”

The outcome marks another significant legal victory for Fox News in a series of high-profile defamation disputes tied to its post-January 6 political coverage.

The network has consistently relied on the strong constitutional protections established by the U.S. Supreme Court’s landmark 1964 decision in New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, which intentionally created a high legal barrier for public officials and public figures seeking to recover damages in defamation cases.

The ruling remains one of the foundational precedents protecting American press freedom, designed to allow robust political debate even when reporting later proves incomplete, inaccurate, or controversial.

Legal analysts say the Epps decision underscores how difficult it remains for plaintiffs — particularly those tied to highly politicized national controversies — to prevail in defamation claims against major media organizations.

The case also arrives as broader debates continue across the political and legal landscape over the balance between press protections, misinformation, and accountability for false reporting in the digital era.

For Fox News, the dismissal reinforces the network’s broader legal strategy of framing such lawsuits primarily as First Amendment disputes rather than factual determinations about political commentary aired during one of the most divisive periods in recent American history.

For Epps, meanwhile, the ruling likely ends one of the most visible legal battles tied to the lingering fallout from January 6 unless an appeals court decides otherwise.

JBizNews Desk
© JBizNews.com. All rights reserved. This article is original reporting by JBizNews Desk. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution is strictly prohibited.

Please follow us:
Follow by Email
X (Twitter)
Whatsapp
LinkedIn
Copy link