Drone attack that damaged UAE’s Barakah plant designed to ‘send message’ to UAE, sources tell Post

URL has been copied successfully!

The drone attack on the civilian Barakah Nuclear Power Plant, which supplies electricity to the United Arab Emirates, was intended to “send a message” to the Emiratis, two sources familiar with the details of the strike told The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.

According to one of the sources, the drone deliberately targeted one of the facility’s energy suppliers in order to convey the message: “We can also strike the nuclear reactor itself and trigger a nuclear incident.”

The UAE, at this point, is not directly blaming Iran for the attack and is investigating whether Tehran or the Houthis in Yemen are behind the incident. “In any case, it’s Iran who ordered the attack,” the two sources told the Post.

Anwar Gargash, senior adviser to UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, wrote on X/Twitter that the attack on the nuclear facility – “whether carried out directly by those responsible or through one of their proxies – represents a dangerous escalation and a dark development that violates all international laws and norms.”

Gargash said that the attack demonstrated disregard for the lives of civilians in the UAE and across the wider region. “This prohibited escalation once again highlights the nature of the challenges facing the region in confronting the forces of evil, chaos, and destruction. No one will bend the will of the United Arab Emirates.”

This follows authorities in the UAE responding to a fire caused by a drone strike on an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant in the Al Dhafra Region, as confirmed by the Abu Dhabi Media Office earlier on Sunday.

No injuries were reported, radiological safety levels were unaffected, and the Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation confirmed the plant’s essential systems are operating normally.

The UAE’s Foreign Ministry later said in a statement that the incident was a “terrorist attack” that “constitutes a “dangerous escalation, an unacceptable act of aggression, and a direct threat to the country’s security.”

The UAE’s Defense Ministry said that investigations were underway to determine the source of the drone attack. It added that three drones were launched from the country’s western border, and only two were successfully intercepted. The final drone struck the generator.

The statement did not give any indication of how the drone strike happened.

IAEA says UAE radiation levels normal after drone strike near Barakah plant

The International Atomic Energy Agency said the UAE told it that radiation levels at the Barakah plant remained normal after the incident.

“The IAEA is following the situation closely, and is in constant contact with the UAE authorities, ready to provide assistance if needed,” the UN nuclear watchdog said.

The UAE has faced repeated missile and drone attacks during the Israel-US-Iran conflict.

The UAE’s Foreign Ministry said on Friday that it categorically rejected what it called Iranian allegations and attempts to justify attacks on the UAE, adding that it reserved its sovereign, legal, diplomatic, and military rights to respond to any threat or hostile act.

Please follow us:
Follow by Email
X (Twitter)
Whatsapp
LinkedIn
Copy link

This post was originally published on here