Flotilla activists detained at Ashdod Port after Israeli Navy intercepts Gaza-bound vessels

URL has been copied successfully!

Hundreds of pro-Palestinian flotilla activists were brought to Ashdod Port after the Israeli Navy intercepted Gaza-bound vessels attempting to breach Israel’s naval blockade, Adalah – The Legal Center for Arab Minority Rights in Israel said Wednesday morning.

According to Adalah, its attorneys, alongside volunteer lawyers, were allowed into Ashdod Port to hold legal consultations with the detained participants, who had been aboard vessels affiliated with the Freedom Flotilla Coalition and the Global Sumud Flotilla. 

The group said the activists included international solidarity activists, human rights defenders, and medical volunteers who had set sail toward Gaza to deliver humanitarian aid and challenge the blockade.

Adalah accused Israel of unlawfully intercepting civilian vessels in international waters and taking the participants into Israeli territory against their will. Israel rejected the flotilla’s framing, with the Foreign Ministry saying overnight that “another PR flotilla has come to an end.”

All 430 activists have been transferred to Israeli vessels and are making their way to Israel, where they will be able to meet with their consular representatives,” the ministry said shortly after midnight.

The ministry added that the flotilla was “nothing more than a PR stunt at the service of Hamas,” and said Israel would continue to act in accordance with international law and prevent any breach of the naval blockade on Gaza.

All 50 boats had been intercepted in the eastern Mediterranean by Tuesday evening 

By Tuesday evening, the GSF said all 50 boats had been intercepted in the eastern Mediterranean, with 428 participants from more than 40 countries detained. The Foreign Ministry said the activists would be able to meet consular representatives.

The flotilla was the latest attempt by activists to challenge Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza, amid continued international criticism over the humanitarian situation in the enclave. Israel has repeatedly described such flotillas as provocations rather than meaningful aid missions, while activists and rights groups argue that the sailings are meant to protest the blockade and draw attention to conditions in Gaza.

Renewed blockade run after previous attempt failed

The flotilla departed from Turkey last week as part of a renewed blockade run after a previous attempt was intercepted by the Israeli Navy in April. Last week, organizers said 54 vessels and more than 500 activists were expected to leave Marmaris, Turkey, following the detention and deportation of key organizers from an earlier attempt.

By Monday, the flotilla had included dozens of vessels, some organized by IHH, the Turkish group behind the 2010 Mavi Marmara flotilla. Ahead of its expected arrival, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had held consultations with senior defense officials.

On Tuesday, the Navy intercepted most of the flotilla west of Cyprus, with the last vessels stopped later in the day after scattering north of Port Said and near Cyprus; if the remaining vessels had not been stopped, they could have reached Gaza by Tuesday night.

Adalah said its legal team would challenge the legality of the detentions and demand the immediate release of the flotilla participants.

Michael Starr contributed to this report. 

Please follow us:
Follow by Email
X (Twitter)
Whatsapp
LinkedIn
Copy link

This post was originally published on here