Trump Squeezes Havana While U.S. Capital Eyes Post-Castro Cuba

URL has been copied successfully!

The collapse of Cuba’s economy under a tightening American pressure campaign has shifted from a geopolitical story into a business story, with U.S. investors, Cuban-American executives, and global mining, tourism, and telecom interests openly modeling what a post-Castro island opening could mean for capital flows just 90 miles off the Florida coast.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio, in remarks delivered this month after President Donald Trump signed Executive Order 14404 on May 1, framed the administration’s endgame in explicit commercial terms. Rubio said Cuba “would enjoy an enormous expatriate community, Cuban Americans that would go back and invest,” while pointing to the island’s tourism industry, fertile farmland, and strategic mineral reserves, including rare earth deposits critical to modern technology supply chains.

“Cuba should not be a poor country,” Rubio said. “Its people should not be starving. Its people should be prosperous.”

That investment thesis collided this week with the reality unfolding across the island.

Cuban Energy Minister Vicente de la O Levy acknowledged on state television that Cuba has effectively run out of crude oil, diesel, and fuel oil, leaving only domestically produced natural gas keeping portions of the power grid alive. Blackouts in Havana are now lasting as long as 20 to 22 hours a day, according to government statements, as the Trump administration’s escalating pressure campaign cuts off fuel shipments and financial lifelines to the communist government.

The economic collapse is becoming increasingly visible. Food shortages have intensified, transportation networks have deteriorated, and factories across the island are operating intermittently or shutting down entirely because of power outages and fuel scarcity.

At the same time, Washington’s posture toward Havana is hardening.

CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled to Havana last week in the most senior U.S. intelligence visit to Cuba in decades. Ratcliffe reportedly met with senior Cuban security officials and delivered a direct message from President Trump that the United States is prepared to discuss economic normalization and security cooperation only if Cuba undertakes “fundamental changes,” according to officials cited by the Associated Press.

The administration is simultaneously escalating legal and financial pressure on the regime.

Federal prosecutors in Miami are reportedly examining potential charges tied to senior Cuban officials connected to the 1996 shootdown of planes operated by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue. While Trump declined to confirm potential indictments, he signaled the administration views the Cuban government as vulnerable.

“They need help,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One. “You talk about a declining country — they are really a nation in decline.”

For financial markets and multinational corporations, the most consequential move came through the State Department’s sanctions escalation under Executive Order 14404.

Rubio announced sanctions against GAESA, the military-controlled conglomerate that dominates much of Cuba’s economy, alongside Moa Nickel S.A., one of the island’s most strategically important mining operations. The State Department described GAESA as the core financial engine of Cuba’s communist system, estimating the organization controls more than 40% of the country’s economy through tourism, retail, banking, transportation, and industrial assets.

The move immediately rattled one of Cuba’s largest foreign corporate partners: Canada’s Sherritt International.

Sherritt, which owns a 50% stake in the Moa nickel joint venture and major energy assets on the island, initially announced plans to suspend participation in Cuban operations and began withdrawing expatriate employees after the sanctions announcement. Several company directors resigned shortly afterward.

But in a notable reversal this week, Sherritt said it was reconsidering dismantling its Cuban operations after consultations with advisers and government officials, citing what it called a “potential value-preserving opportunity.”

That language immediately caught Wall Street’s attention.

Analysts increasingly believe some foreign investors are quietly positioning for a possible post-Castro opening rather than abandoning Cuban assets entirely. The logic is straightforward: maintain strategic exposure now in hopes of benefiting from a future transition that could unlock billions of dollars in tourism, infrastructure, telecom, agriculture, and mining investment.

The opportunity is substantial.

Cuba possesses some of the world’s largest undeveloped nickel and cobalt reserves — materials essential to electric vehicle batteries and advanced defense technologies. With Washington aggressively seeking alternatives to China-dominated mineral supply chains, Cuba’s resource base has suddenly taken on greater geopolitical significance.

The island also sits directly adjacent to one of the wealthiest consumer markets on earth.

Before the revolution, Cuba was among the Caribbean’s premier tourism destinations. American hotel operators, airlines, cruise lines, telecom providers, and agricultural exporters have spent decades studying what a reopening could look like. Some estimates from prior U.S. trade studies projected billions of dollars in annual economic activity if restrictions were normalized.

But the same sanctions designed to pressure Havana are simultaneously increasing the risks for companies attempting to move too early.

Executive Order 14404 significantly expands the threat of secondary sanctions against foreign firms and financial institutions doing business with sanctioned Cuban entities. European banks, Canadian miners, and Latin American conglomerates that previously operated under older sanctions frameworks now face far greater legal and financial exposure if they continue transactions linked to GAESA or other targeted sectors.

For ordinary Cubans, the geopolitical and financial maneuvering translates into worsening daily hardship.

The Wall Street Journal reported this week that blackouts lasting nearly an entire day are fueling unrest across the island, with protests increasingly breaking out in Havana and other cities as shortages deepen. Inflation continues eroding purchasing power while the peso weakens further against the dollar.

The next key deadline arrives June 5, when the Treasury Department’s temporary wind-down period for foreign companies connected to GAESA-related transactions expires. After that date, enforcement risks rise sharply for multinational corporations still operating on the island.

For investors and policymakers alike, the stakes are becoming clearer.

If the pressure campaign succeeds in forcing meaningful political and economic reform, Cuba could become one of the most significant untapped emerging-market opportunities in the Western Hemisphere. If it fails, companies maintaining exposure risk being trapped inside a collapsing economy facing deeper isolation, fuel shortages, and intensifying political instability.

Either way, the business landscape of the Caribbean is changing rapidly — and global capital is already preparing for what comes next.

JBizNews Desk

© JBizNews.com. All rights reserved. This article is original reporting by JBizNews Desk. Unauthorized reproduction or redistribution is strictly prohibited.

Please follow us:
Follow by Email
X (Twitter)
Whatsapp
LinkedIn
Copy link