US-Iran peace agreement with several MidEast countries ‘largely negotiated,’ Trump says

URL has been copied successfully!

A peace agreement has been “largely negotiated” among the United States, Iran, and several Middle Eastern countries, US President Donald Trump announced on Saturday.

Among the countries included in Trump’s peace agreement were Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Pakistan, Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, and Bahrain.

He added that he had separately conducted a call with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, which “likewise, went very well.”

While the majority of the deal’s details have yet to be publicized, Trump said one element they would include was the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Early on Sunday, Iran’s Fars news agency reported that the Strait of Hormuz would remain under Iran’s control, citing the latest text exchanged between Iran and the US, and dismissed Trump’s announcement as “incomplete and inconsistent with reality.”

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif congratulated Trump on his “extraordinary efforts to pursue peace.”

Two Pakistani sources involved in the talks also told Reuters that the deal being negotiated is “fairly comprehensive to terminate the war.” One also said that if the US accepts the memorandum of understanding, further talks could take place after the Eid holiday ends on Friday.

Report claims US, Iran to sign 60-day ceasefire extension

Earlier on Saturday, The Financial Times reported that the US and Iran were on the verge of agreeing to a 60-day extension of the current ceasefire, during which most issues that arose in the negotiations would be addressed.

The report noted that the terms of this deal would include the gradual reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a key issue raised by both the US and Iran after each country imposed closures and blockades of the waterway.

Tobias Holcman and Reuters contributed to this report.

Please follow us:
Follow by Email
X (Twitter)
Whatsapp
LinkedIn
Copy link

This post was originally published on here