Israel confirms strikes on Idlib airbase after US envoy condemns attack

URL has been copied successfully!

The Syrian government and US Envoy to Iraq and Syria Tom Barrack accused Israel on Tuesday of carrying out overnight strikes on the Abu al-Duhur military airfield in Idlib province in northwestern Syria, calling the attacks an unnecessary escalation that threatens regional stability.

On Tuesday evening, the Prime Minister’s Office released a statement on X/Twitter appearing to take credit for the strike.

“Israel and Syria agreed to a status quo in security matters, which Syria was on the verge of breaching by permitting Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo,” the post read.

“Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security. Syria chose to ignore these warnings,” it continued, adding that “Israel will not tolerate threats to its security, and would welcome a return to the status quo.”

 Satellite imagery shows significant activity at the Abu al-Duhur airbase in the months before it was struck overnight, August 18, 2026 (credit: SCREENSHOT/VIA SECTION 27A OF THE COPYRIGHT LAW)

A source familiar with the details told The Jerusalem Post that Israel recently provided the US with intelligence on attempts by Syria to build up its military capabilities.

“The Syrian Arab Republic condemns in the strongest terms the Israeli airstrikes targeting Abu al-Duhur Military Airbase in Idlib Governorate, and considers them an unjustified act of aggression, a flagrant violation of Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, and a dangerous escalation that threatens security and stability in the region,” a statement from the Syrian Foreign Ministry read.

The strikes demonstrate Israel’s “attempts to undermine these efforts and drag the region toward further tension and instability,” it added.

US Envoy to Iraq and Syria Tom Barrack echoed the Syrian statement, and noted that the US is “deeply concerned” about the airstrikes in a post to X/Twitter.

He added that the strikes “constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability,” and that Syrian President Ahmed al-Shaara’s government has “neither adopted a predatory posture nor maintained proxy forces. It has, in fact, repeatedly indicated a preference for de-escalation with Israel.”

“Enduring de-escalation agreements are built through sustained dialogues with all concerned nations and principals.”

“The United States continues to believe that restraint and engagement offer the more constructive course. We encourage all parties to prioritize logical discourse over further military incidents,” he wrote.

Strikes reportedly target Syrian base’s runway

Earlier in the day, Arab media reported that four aircraft carried out the strikes, which took place about 70 km. from the Turkish border.

A correspondent for the Qatari Al Jazeera network reported that the four strikes targeted the runway of the military base, located in the eastern Idlib countryside.

The network’s correspondent in Damascus said that information about the incident remained scarce and that Syrian authorities had not issued an official response. Other Arab media outlets also reported that the strikes were carried out by “unidentified fighter jets.”

Hezbollah-affiliated Al Mayadeen network suggested that Israel was behind the attack, though the IDF has not addressed any recent strikes in Syria, and other reports in the region did not determine that the Israeli Air Force had carried out the strikes.

The Abu al-Duhur airfield is located east of the city of Idlib and dozens of kilometers from the Turkish border.

The military base changed hands several times during the Syrian civil war. In 2015, rebel forces captured it following a prolonged siege, and in early 2018 it returned to the control of forces loyal to Bashar al-Assad’s regime. In November 2024, rebel forces recaptured it during the offensive that ultimately led to the collapse of the Assad regime.

Since Assad’s fall, the area has been under the control of Syria’s new government, led by al-Sharaa.

As of Tuesday morning, there have been no reports of casualties from the strikes or of the extent of damage to the runway and facilities at the airfield.

A man rides a motorbike in the town of Abu al-Duhur, Syria, August 18, 2026 (credit: REUTERS/STRINGER)

Turkish FM claims Israeli strikes in Syria are a threat to stability

Turkey, on Tuesday, strongly condemned Israeli air strikes on the Abu al-Duhur air base in northwestern Syria, and called on the international community to ensure Israel is held accountable for actions which it said violated international laws.

In an August 6 joint news conference with Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad Hassan al-Shaibani, Turkey’s Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan claimed that Israel’s attacks against Syria are one of the greatest destabilizing factors for the country.

“Israel’s attacks targeting Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity are among the greatest threats to the country’s stability,” he said, adding that Syria’s stability was a shared responsibility for all the countries in the region.

“We call on the international community to take a more decisive stance to end Israel’s escalating aggression against Syria,” Turkey’s foreign ministry said in a statement.

At the time, Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar had pushed back against Fidan’s statements on Israeli action in Syria, accusing Turkey of spending decades “violating the sovereignty of Syria while cynically lecturing others on international law.”

According to Sa’ar, Turkey occupies 5% of Syria and intends to use the space to undermine Israeli security, while Israel only holds “one-tenth of one percent of Syrian territory” in the form of a buffer zone to protect itself from terror attacks.

Amichai Stein, Tzvi Jasper, and Eli Leon contributed to this report.

Please follow us:
Follow by Email
X (Twitter)
Whatsapp
LinkedIn
Copy link

This post was originally published on here